-B.S. (Soil, Water, and Environmental Science with focus in Chemistry) University of Arizona, 2010
Benjamin D. Vernon, B.S.
Mr. Vernon joined Hydro Geo Chem, Inc. in 2011 as a Staff Professional I. His environmental field experience includes sampling soil, soil-gas, and groundwater; overseeing well installation; UST permanent closure; in-situ chemical oxidation (ISCO) injection and monitoring; and monitoring the operation of and conducting maintenance on soil vapor extraction, air sparge, thermal-catalytic oxidation, and groundwater pump and treat remedial systems. He is proficient with collecting field data and documenting field conditions; using a variety of field monitoring equipment (PID, FID, water level meters, flow meters, water quality instruments); and reviewing project documents. Mr. Vernon’s professional focus is on geochemical problems associated with in situ treatment of mining-related groundwater contamination. His university course work included soils and water chemistry; watershed hydrology; environmental monitoring and remediation; geochemistry; environmental organic chemistry; environmental physics; biology; microbiology; marine biology; physical, analytical, and organic chemistry; human health and risk assessment; soil and water conservation; global climate change; environmental sciences and sustainability; pollution science; and biostatistics.
OSHA 40-Hour Health and Safety Training for Hazardous Waste Operations,
MSHA Certified Mine Safety Training, 2011
• Winslow Whiting Brothers, Field investigation, Groundwater Monitoring & ISCO Injections & Monitoring, Winslow, Arizona: Preparation and setup of a soil vapor extraction apparatus for a short-term pump test. Collected pertinent field parameters as part of a preliminary remedial investigation to determine the extent of vadose soil permeability. Performed groundwater sampling, water and LNAPL level monitoring. Recorded pertinent purge parameter prior to sampling. Oversaw the injections for ISCO test tracer. Collected soil and groundwater samples prior to injection and continuously over a set duration to monitor tracer concentrations throughout.
• B&D (Former Rick’s Auto), Thermo-Catalytic Oxidizer SVE System Installation and Remediation, Phoenix, Arizona: Completed necessary tasks to finish the installation of T-Cat and AS systems. Performed initial system start-up for T-Cat SVE; soil vapor data and sample collection, O&M for a thermal-catalytic oxidizer and AS systems; groundwater sampling and water level monitoring. Recorded pertinent purge parameters prior to sample collection.
• Winslow Welding, Excavation & UST in-situ Permanent Closure, Winslow, Arizona: Oversaw the permanent in-place closure of an underground storage tank and collected appropriate soil samples for compliance with State Tank Contract. Oversaw the excavation of the surrounding contaminated soils, and the placement of chemically oxidized fill material. Performed groundwater sampling and water level monitoring. Recorded pertinent purge parameters prior to sampling.
• Queen Creek Landfill - Maricopa County, Arizona: Installed In-Situ Level Troll pressure transducers in wells/probes for evaluation of landfill pneumatic properties. Collected pressure data by downloading from the transducers to the current version of Win-Situ software. Transducers were maintained prior to installation, which included checking the integrity of o-rings, desiccant caps and cables.
• Central & Camelback WHARF Site, Soil Vapor & Groundwater Monitoring, Phoenix, Arizona: Perform quarterly groundwater sampling and water level monitoring at a PCE-contaminated site. Record pertinent purge parameters prior to sampling. Perform O&M on SVE and GWTP systems, recording monthly operation parameters and collecting soil vapor and groundwater biweekly samples.
• Cooper & Commerce WHARF Site, Soil Vapor & Groundwater Monitoring, Gilbert, Arizona: Perform quarterly groundwater sampling and water level monitoring at a PCE-contaminated site. Record pertinent purge parameters prior to sampling. Perform O&M on SVE/AS and GWTP systems, recording monthly operation parameters and collecting soil vapor and groundwater biweekly samples.
• 7th & Arizona Ave, Soil Vapor, Groundwater, and LNAPL Monitoring, Tucson, Arizona: Performed groundwater, soil vapor, and LNAPL sampling. Recorded pertinent purge parameters prior to sampling. Install groundwater monitoring wells for perched and regional aquifers. Abandoned perched aquifer wells in compliance with ADWR. Performed data collection and compilation for Land Use and Risk Assessment report preparation.
• Acetone Release Field Investigation, Casa Grande, Arizona: Performed soil sampling and data collection to investigate the extent of an acetone release. Oversight of subcontractors and the use of Little Beaver soil probe in a semi-confined and underground utility congested area.
• MEK Release SVE Remediation and Field Investigation, Casa Grande, Arizona: Performed soil vapor data and sample collection, and O&M for a thermal-catalytic oxidizer system during SVE remediation of an MEK release. Preparation and setup of a soil vapor extraction apparatus for a short-term pump test. Collected pertinent field parameters and soil vapor samples as part of a preliminary remedial investigation to determine the extent of vadose soil contamination for evaluation of the treatment options. Installation of soil vapor wells in congested area surrounding an underground tank farm. Installed and developed groundwater monitoring wells. Collected semi-annual groundwater samples and recorded pertinent purge parameters. Performed the deconstruction of the T-Cat SVE system and oversight of site closure upon completing remediation.
• Heap Leach Neutralization Project, Arizona: Performed geochemical research, composed relevant stoichiometric equations and took part in the conceptual design of an innovative approach to controlling the pH of an abandoned heap leach site. This project is ongoing and is anticipated to include laboratory and bench-scale study design and implementation for numerical model calibration.
HYDRO GEO CHEM, INC.
West Wetmore Road, Suite 101, Tucson, Arizona 85705-1678
Toll Free (800) 727-5547,
Tel. (520) 293-1500, Fax (520) 293-1550, Email
3038 East Cactus Road, Suite 3, Phoenix, Arizona 85032-7113
(480) 421-1501, Fax (480) 425-8794
Geo Chem, Inc. assumes no responsibility for the consequences of reliance
by others on the
information provided on this web site
© 2017 - by Hydro Geo Chem, Inc., all rights reserved