CERCLA Feasibility Study
City of Industry, CA
Earthen Cover Design
Trona Mine Dewatering
NPL Site Remediation
UST Petroleum Release
Regional Aquifer Cleanup
Acid Mine Drainage
Waste Water Handling
Water Resources Assessment
Water Rights Development
Water Supply Assessment
Movies, Charts, & Presentations
Neil J. Babb, B.S., G.I.T.
Mr. Babb joined Hydro Geo Chem, Inc., in 2006 as a Staff Geologist II and has over ten years professional experience in the geologic and environmental fields. He has been involved with projects ranging from: operation and maintenance of soil vapor extraction and groundwater pump and treat systems; groundwater and soil vapor monitoring well installations and development; aquifer and SVE pilot testing; environmental sampling (groundwater, soil, soil-gas and landfill-gas); UST removals; CQA oversight for landfill closure and new cell construction; and Phase I and II environmental site assessments. Responsibilities include: field and systems data collection; computer data entry; proficient use of remedial software programs Rocklink 800 and Sensaphone Cell 682 to assist with remote monitoring of SVE and GW-systems; field management of drilling and construction subcontractors; field supervision and training of co-workers in remedial systems O&M and sampling techniques; modifications and repairs to piping and fittings (HDPE, PVC, and galvanized) on remedial systems; use of manual and electrical field instruments and equipment; site health and safety monitoring; review of project documents; lithologic logging; aquifer testing; report preparation and writing for final reviews; strenuous physical work requiring heavy lifting.
(Geology) Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, 2005
Geology Program, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, 2004
Geologist-In-Training, Arizona Certificate No. 10396, 2007
Certified Construction Quality Assurance (CQA) Inspector (Geosynthetic Materials and Compacted Clay Liner), No. 137-06, 2006
S.C.E.D.S Competent Person Trench Excavation Safety, No. AZCPT0203, 2013
OSHA 40-Hour HAZWOPPER with Annual Refreshers, 2006
MSHA 24-Hour Surface Mining with Annual Refreshers, 2005
American Red Cross First Aid-CPR/AED-Adult Certification with Annual Refresher, 2009
• Field Technician/Geologist II, Soil Vapor Extraction and Groundwater Pump and Treat Systems Operation; WQARF Sites (Central and Camelback and Cooper and Commerce) in Phoenix and Gilbert, Arizona: Responsible for the operation and maintenance of the liquid and vapor granular activated carbon filtration SVE and GW-Treatment systems. Required duties include monitoring and recording systems data; systems maintenance and repairs, modifications and adjustments, and instrumentation and controls trouble-shooting; and environmental sampling. Additional duties include field management of co-workers for systems O&M and samplings, and CQA oversight of subcontractors for well installations, developments, and systems expansions; conducting aquifer and SVE pilot tests; reviewing project documents; maintaining detailed field logs; preparing documentation and writing reports for final review.
• Field Technician/Geologist II, SVE/AS System Operation and Monitoring Well installations; West Sky Harbor Airport, Phoenix, Arizona: Responsible for assisting with the operation and maintenance of the thermo-catalytic SVE/AS system. Required duties included maintaining airport security badge clearance with air-side driving and escort privileges; monitoring and recording system data; environmental sampling (groundwater and soil-gas); conducting field tests (shut-in, nutrient addition, and dissolved oxygen); preventative maintenance, repairing piping and components, and basic electrical wiring and controls trouble-shooting. Additional duties included field oversight for groundwater monitoring well installations and developments, reviewing project documents, and maintaining detailed logs of site activities.
• Staff/Field Geologist II, ADEQ UST Removals; rural Gila County, Safford, and Solomon, Arizona: Required duties included the field oversight of subcontractors to excavate, expose , inert, and remove the USTs from selected sites; site health and safety; obtaining soil samples; and maintaining descriptive field documentation (notes, diagrams, and photographs) of all activities that occurred at the sites.
Staff/Field Geologist II, Groundwater Well Installation, Development, and Sampling; 7th Street & Missouri Avenue Preliminary Investigation Site in Phoenix, Arizona: Responsible for the field oversight of three groundwater monitoring well installations and well developments. Duties included obtaining Simul-Probe summa samples at discrete intervals during the drilling processes; lithologic logging of the borings; CQA oversight of subcontractors during the well installations; field management of co-worker during the well development processes; obtaining groundwater and soil-vapor samples; maintaining detailed field logs.
• Project/Field Geologist II, Well Installation and Development; Washoe County Dept. of Water Resources, Nevada: Responsible for the installation and removal of preliminary passive soil-gas samplers used to assist with the locations of the eight GW-monitoring wells, and for the field oversight during the installations and developments. Duties included review of project documents; site health and safety; litholgic logging of borings; CQA during well constructions; environmental sampling (depth discrete groundwater, well development, and IDW); maintaining detailed field logs. Additional duties included preparing a Time & Materials spreadsheet from the field logs for verifying the project’s billing quantities submitted by the subcontractor.
• Project/Field Geologist II, Well Development, and Aquifer Testing; Green Valley and Bisbee, Arizona: Responsible for the development processes involved with newly constructed groundwater monitoring wells and aquifer testing. Duties included site health and safety and oversight of subcontractors; monitoring and recording well development parameters during developments using electrical and manual field equipment; verifying flow-rates and quantities discharged; obtaining water quality samples; setting up and conducting step-drawdown aquifer tests upon completion of the well developments. Additional duties included data collection and entry; sample handling and shipment; and maintaining detailed and accurate field logs.
• Project/Field Geologist II, Industrial Facility Sampling; Kent, Washington: Responsible for semi-annual groundwater monitoring and sampling at industrial facility. Duties included reviewing site documents; ordering field equipment and lab bottle order shipments; obtaining surface and groundwater samples; sample handling and shipment; maintaining detailed field logs and data sheets.
• CQA, Municipal Landfill Closure; Chandler, Arizona: Duties included pre-closure assistance with field modifications and repairs to landfill gas system using McElroy welding and Fria-mat thermo-coupler fuse technology; calculating elevation data obtained from site maps and diagrams and used surveying equipment to base the required adjustments from; established soil testing locations in accordance with project specifications for obtaining density/compaction and moisture-content tests for the final cover; provided construction quality assurance (CQA) inspection to the contractor during installation of the final soil-only cover; participated in weekly construction meetings and presented data documented in the field; maintained detailed and accurate logs of all field activities; prepared Construction Documentation Report for final review.
• CQA, New Cell Construction; Yuma, Arizona: Duties included analyses of project documents, site maps, and diagrams; established soil testing locations in accordance with project specifications for obtaining density/compaction and moisture-content tests for the sub-grade and operations layer of new cell; provided construction quality assurance (CQA) inspection to the contractor for verification of the conformance testing of the geo-synthetic materials used; conducted health and safety briefings; maintained detailed and accurate logs of all field activities; prepared Construction Documentation Report for final review.
• Staff/Field Geologist II, Regional Landfill Sampling; Yuma, Surprise, Phoenix, & Joseph City, Arizona: Responsible for collecting landfill-gas samples, duties included review of project documents; obtaining background level soil and soil-gas samples for new cell construction; conducting Tier II landfill-gas sampling on pre-existing landfill cell; collected geo-technical soil sampling to characterize former seepage waste area; installation of landfill-gas monitoring probes; maintained detailed and accurate logs of all field activities; report preparation.
• Staff Geologist II, Environmental Site Assessments; Various locations in Arizona: Responsible for conducting Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments. Duties include data collection of a site’s: historical documentation; analysis and interpretation of topographic, geologic, and hydrologic maps; analysis of aerial photography; conducting site-owner and local agency interviews; obtaining and reviewing regulatory and prior site specific reports; conducting on-site reconnaissance/investigations; prepare reports in their entirety for final review.
• Field Geologist, Claim Staking; Rural Northern Nevada: Responsible for locating and staking land claims in rugged mountain terrain. Duties included the use of topographic maps, GPS-units, and off-road vehicles along with extensive back-country hiking to physically secure the designated land claims in accordance with the laws.
• Field Geologist, Superfund Site; Southwest Michigan: Responsible for collecting river water and sediment samples. Duties included reviewing documents and maps along with GPS-units to identify sample locales; use of field equipment; sample handling and shipment; extraction of river-bed cores for determining sediment transport characteristics; maintaining detailed and accurate logs of all field activities.
HYDRO GEO CHEM, INC.
West Wetmore Road, Suite 101, Tucson, Arizona 85705-1678
Toll Free (800) 727-5547,
Tel. (520) 293-1500, Fax (520) 293-1550, Email
3038 East Cactus Road, Suite 3, Phoenix, Arizona 85032-7113
(480) 421-1501, Fax (480) 425-8794
Geo Chem, Inc. assumes no responsibility for the consequences of reliance
by others on the
information provided on this web site
© 2018 - by Hydro Geo Chem, Inc., all rights reserved